Tuesday, December 6, 2016

#LIGHTtheWORLD: Rejoice in Christ and Keep Your Promises



My husband has some very special aunts and uncles and a particular one came to my mind today in thinking of the #LIGHTtheWORLD theme today which is, "Jesus read the scriptures and so can you."  I thought of Uncle Scott.  He has been gone for several years, but what he taught me in those short years I was acquainted with him left a lasting impact on me.  He loved the Gospel of Jesus Christ and he was converted.  He loved the Savior.  At his funeral it was shared that his favorite scripture was this one from the Book of Mormon, in the book of 2nd Nephi, Chapter 25, verse 26.  It reads:

"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, and we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."  

I had young children when this great man named Scott passed away.  He showed so much kindness to our family and taught us so much.  He knew what was important.  He had money from a very successful business and could have had a fancier house and a nicer car.  But he drove a broken-down Chevy Suburban that had to be one of the earliest models.  It had seat belts that didn't work and even broken seats.  But in that truck he took us up rocky red cliffs and very close to careening drop-offs in San Juan County, Utah, to show us the beauties of God's magnificent creations.  He loved people.  I didn't know him that well, but I knew he loved even me.  He had lost a young little son many years ago and then many years later, his beloved wife.  Then he found himself ill with cancer.  But he was still happy.  He still wanted to serve people.  He still wanted to drive us on adventures when we came to visit.

The last time we saw him, he was thin and frail.  He still insisted on coming along to our adventure to Monument Valley.  He didn't drive this time.  He came to be our tour guide.  Oh, how I loved his stories and his impressions of that country.  It was one of the most spiritual adventures I've ever been on.  Knowing that he was so sick, but wanted to share that time with us and his sister, my husband's mother.  He had promised our young children a ride on one of his tractors before we came home, but I noticed how tired he was getting and we didn't want to say anything to remind anyone, knowing he had already given us so much of himself.



We had spent an evening up at the family cabin in the mountains surrounding Blanding, Utah.  It was a lovely time for all and I loved seeing how much compassion he had for his children and grandchildren, sisters and brothers, kin of every kind, and his friends.  He was weak and thin, but still loving and teaching.  We decided to slip out quietly, return to where we were staying and journey home the next morning.  It was starting to get dark after all.

After getting down off the mountain and back into town, we stopped at the grocery store for some snacks and breakfast items for the next morning.  When we came out of the store, who do you suppose was waiting by our car?  Uncle Scott.  He remembered he had promised to show the kids the tractor and he was a man of his word.  I couldn't believe it.  It tore me up inside.  He insisted and you always want to please Uncle Scott.

We followed Scott over to the tractors.  He picked out a nice big back-hoe that he thought the kids would like.  He insisted they get in the tractor scoop and he got behind the controls and gently lifted them up and down, slowly and gently.  A simple little ride in a tractor scoop for a few short minutes.  I could hardly keep the tears back.  I knew we would not see him again in this life.  I knew he knew it, too.  And I knew why he kept his promise.  Because a promise to ride in a tractor is a big deal to a little kid, but mostly because he was a Christ-like man.  He didn't just study about Christ or teach about Christ.  He lived like Christ.  He didn't take more than he needed and he lived freely.  He didn't lose his faith or testimony when he lost his sweet son and his beautiful wife.  And he didn't stop serving when he himself became ill.  No, Uncle Scott did all of these things, preaching of Christ, talking of Christ, but mostly rejoicing in Christ.  He knew what Christ meant to him and should mean to all of us.  Uncle Scott understood.  He knew that Christ will always keep His promises and to be like Christ, Scott was determined to keep his own promises.  Even to little children who wanted to ride a tractor.  I am sure that it will be similar, but on a much grander and fantastic scale when we come to fully and completely realize just how Jesus is really going to come through on the promises He has made to us, if we will be worthy.

The new scriptures my husband gave me for my birthday!  The others were completely worn out!

The holy scriptures speak for themselves.  I love the Bible.  I love the Book of Mormon with all my heart.  It changed my life and the lives of so many people for good.  I know it is true!  It is the word of God.  I have read and studied it many times and prayed to receive an witness from God that it is true.  My prayers were answered.  The Holy Ghost testified to me that it is indeed God's word.  It testifies of Jesus Christ and He is the prominent figure in the sacred record.  An excellent article about this is found here, Names of Christ in the Book of Mormon.

If you've never read the Book of Mormon or need to read it again, I encourage you to do so.  It's the story of all time.  It's packed with drama, war, redemption, love, brotherhood, and peace.  It will do your heart good.  It just might change your life---it could even save your life.  I know it has the power to make us happier.  Anything that gets us closer to Jesus has to be a good thing!  

If you'd like a free copy, click here to receive one, Get a free copy of the Book of Mormon!


No comments:

Post a Comment